Deconstructed Ahi California Roll
1 1⁄2 cupcooked calrose rice
2 teaspoonsrice vinegar
headerAhi Crab Salad
4 ouncesSashimi Grade Ahi (about 1/4 pound of ahi tuna filet)
1⁄2 cupLump Blue Crab meat, Alaskan King Crab or imitation crab meat
4 tablespoonsfine sliced scallions
1⁄4 cupJapanese cucumber, peeled (regular cucumber may be substituted)
1⁄2 cupdiced avocado
4grinds McCormick Sea Salt from grinder
2 teaspoonssesame oil
3 teaspoonsLa Choy soy sauce
2 tablespoonsWesson Canola Oil
1 teaspoontoasted sesame seeds
1⁄4 cupKraft Mayo
4 teaspoonsSriracha sauce
2grinds McCormick Sea Salt from grinder
1 teaspoonrice vinegar
5 pinchesfresh radish sprouts
5 teaspoonsfinely sliced scallions
5 teaspoonsshredded Nori (take a sheet of nori and cut fine shreds)
- When the rice is just cooked and still warm, add the sugar and vinegar. Mix well and let cool.
Ahi Crab Salad
- Heat a non stick pan on high. When hot, place one tablespoon Wesson oil in pan and place the ahi steaks in the pan.
- Sear them for 30-40 seconds on one side, making sure the ahi stays rare. Remove and cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and lightly mix.
- When the ahi is cool, dice it into 1/2 inch cubes and gently fold into the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine the mayo, Sriracha sauce, salt and vinegar, and chill.
- On an appetizer plate, place 1/4 cup of rice in a ring mold. Form it and allow to set.
- Take 1/2 cup of the Ahi/Crab Salad and form into the ring on top of the rice.
- Gently remove the ring. Drizzle the sriracha mayonnaise around the ahi salad.
- Garnish with radish sprouts, nori, and scallions. Serve immediately.