Fried Sesame Calamari with Ponzu Aioli and Wasabi Cocktail Sauce
1 poundwhole squid, cleaned
2 cupsall purpose flour
2 teaspoonssesame seeds, toasted
1 tablespoonsoy sauce
1 tablespoongreen onion, chopped
1garlic clove, finely minced
headerWasabi Cocktail Sauce
1 cupchili sauce
2 tablespoonsfreshly squeeze lemon juice
1 tablespoonprepared wasabi or horseradish
1⁄4 teaspoonworchestershire sauce
- Rinse the squid under cool water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the body of the squid into 1/2" rings and trim the tentacles as necessary.
- Chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes, the squid will fry better.
- Pour about 2" of oil in a fryer or large heavy pot and heat to 375°.
- Mix the flour and sesame seeds in a pie dish or plate; season with a fair amount of salt and pepper. (Taste the flour mix. If you cannot detect the seasoning of salt and pepper, add more).
- Toss the calamari in the seasoned flour to coat.
- Be sure to push in the flour to ensure a good coating.
- Dry for 1-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer the fried calamari to paper towels to drain.
- Drain on paper towels and salt to taste.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and dipping sauces.
- Combine all the ingredients and set aside to allow the flavors to marry.
Wasabi Cocktail Sauce
- Combine ingredients and refrigerate.