Green Papaya Chicken Soup with Ginger
2 tablespoonsvegetable oil
1yellow onion (peeled and cut into slices)
3⁄4 poundsboneless, skinless chicken thighs (cut into 1 inch pieces, excess fat removed)
1each 2 inch piece ginger (peeled, sliced into fine strips)
2garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
2 quartschicken broth
1green papaya (peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces)
2tomatoes cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cupwatercress or other braising green
- In a large pot, heat the oil. When the oil begins to smoke, add in the onion and cook until transleucent.
- Add in the chicken and cook until lightly brown.
- Add in the ginger, garlic and stock and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Add in the papaya and cook until tender.
- Add in the tomatoes, watercress and cook until just heated through.
- Adjust seasoning with fish sauce and calamansi juice.