Grilled Ahi Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce
1medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
1 cupplain yogurt
1 tablespoonolive oil
1 teaspoonlemon juice
1 teaspoonminced garlic
4 tablespoonsextra virgin olive oil
1⁄2 tablespoonfresh lemon juice
4garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoonsfresh oregano, chopped
1 teaspoonfresh rosemary, chopped
1⁄2 teaspoonground black pepper
8fresh ahi steak pieces (4 oz. each)
4 cupsiceberg lettuce, sliced
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients and chill for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to marry.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the ahi steak.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate, refrigerated, for at least 2 and up to 6 hours, turning occasionally.
- Brush a grill lightly with olive oil and preheat to medium heat.
- Remove the ahi from the marinade and place on the grill.
- Cook for approximately 4 minutes (2 minutes per side for a 3/4" steak).
- For a more rare ahi, heat the grill to high, and sear quickly, about 1.5" minutes per side.
- Thinly slice the ahi into strips and place the meat in the center of the pita breads.
- Top with Tzatziki sauce, lettuce and chopped tomatoes, and serve.
- For best results, brush the pita with olive oil and lightly warm on the grill.
- Serve with tabbouleh salad, cucumber salad or a fresh green salad.