Grilled Miso Tofu
3⁄4 cupsred miso
1 poundfirm tofu
- Combine miso, sake, mirin, sugar, and dashi in a pot and cook over low heat. Stir slowly until smooth. Do not boil mixture. Reserve.
- Remove tofu from package and wrap in paper towels. Place on a plate, then place another plate on top to press out water.
- Turn tofu block length-wise and cut in half horizontally. Rotate each half 90 degrees and cut into ¾ inch slices. Insert two bamboo skewers into each slice so that they angle slightly.
- Grill on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Be sure to clean the grates well and lightly oil them.
- After turning to the second side, spread the miso sauce on the already grilled side.
- Turn again and grill the miso sauce side for another minute.
- Top each with one of the garnishes. Serve with rice and assorted pickled vegetables.