Hawaiian Hearts of Palm with Citrus and Alaskan King Crab
1tangerine, peeled and pitted
1ruby red grapefruit, peeled and pitted
2 tablespoonsfresh tangerine and/or grapefruit juice
2 teaspoonschampagne vinegar
1 teaspoonfresh lemon juice
1⁄2 teaspoonlemon zest
1⁄3 cupolive oil/vegetable oil blend (50/50) mix
1 poundAlaskan king crab meat, cartilage and shells removed
3 tablespoonschopped chives
14 ouncesfresh hearts of palm sliced crosswise, 1/16th inch
- Over a bowl, segment the tangerine and grapefruit, catching any juice for the vinaigrette. Place segments in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the tangerine/grapefruit juice, Champagne vinegar, lemon juice, and zest.
- Whisking, add oil in a steady stream until white.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crab meat and chives. Add enough vinaigrette to lightly coat and toss gently.
- Peel away outer layer of hearts of palm to the tender white inner core.
- Slice and add the hearts of palm to the bowl with the tangerine segments.
- Add enough vinaigrette to lightly coat and toss well.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates.
- Place the crab meat in the center of each plate and arrange the hearts of palm and tangerine segments around the edges.
- Lightly drizzle the plate with the vinaigrette.
- Serve immediately.