Hot and Sour Soup
1 bunchgreen onions
1 bunchchoi sum
4 cans14.5 oz. chicken broth
10dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked, drained and sliced
1 clovegarlic, minced
1⁄4 cuprice vinegar
2 tablespoonsor 3 tbsp. Sriracha chili sauce
1⁄2 teaspoonground white pepper
1juice from 1 large lemon
- Dice green tops of green onions, reserve.
- Reserve the white bottoms, removing the roots first.
- Chop the choi sum leaves, reserve.
- Combine green onion bottoms, choi sum stems, chicken broth, shiitake mushrooms, garlic, peppercorns, star anise, vinegar, chili sauce, white pepper and lemon juice in a large pot.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Combine cornstarch and water.
- Bring soup to a boil, then thicken with cornstarch mixture.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- To serve, add the reserved green onion tops, choi sum leaves and any additional garnishes.
- Cover and simmer for 3 minutes.