Irish Lamb Stew
4 poundslamb shoulder, cubed
1 1⁄2 teaspoonkosher salt
1⁄2 teaspoonfreshly ground black pepper
1⁄4 cupvegetable oil
1onion, peeled and diced into 1" pieces
2medium carrots, cut into 1.5" pieces
1⁄2 cupdried pearl barley
3 cupschicken stock or water
2 cupsstout or dark beer
6fresh potatoes, cut in half
1⁄4 cupfresh parsley leaves, finely chopped for garnish
1 tablespoonfresh chives or green onions, finely chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat 12-quart pot with a tight fitting lid over medium high heat and add the vegetable oil.
- Working in small batches, saute the lamb until golden brown in color.
- Remove lamb and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrots, and barley to the pot.
- Stir to coat, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock, stout and bay leaf to the pot.
- Return the lamb to the pot, place the potatoes on top and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and place in preheated oven for 1 1/2-2 hours or until the lamb is fork tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with the parsley and chives.
- Serve with Irish Soda Bread or crusty bread.