Kiawe Grilled Fish on Gingered Cole Slaw with Citrus Black Bean Jus
headerCitrus Black Bean Jus
2 tablespoonsChinese fermented black beans
1⁄2 cuplow sodium shoyu
1 teaspoonred chili flakes, finely chopped
1⁄3 cup& 2 Tablespoons of rice vinegar
1⁄8 cupdried bonito flakes
12" piece of konbu
3 cupscabbage, finely shredded
1 cupcarrots, finely shredded
3⁄4 cupsgreen onions, sliced
3⁄4 cupsvegetable oil
1⁄4 cuprice vinegar
2 tablespoonsmustard powder
1 tablespoonfresh ginger, finely shredded
4 tablespoonsolive oil
1 tablespoonlemon juice
46 oz. boneless white fish filets (onaga or mahimahi work well)
Citrus Black Bean Jus
- Rinse black beans in cold water then soak for 2 minutes. Drain and reserve.
- Bring mirin and sake to boil in a saucepan.
- Remove from heat and add in all remaining ingredients.
- Mix well and refrigerate overnight. Remove konbu before serving.
- Combine cabbage, carrots and green onions in a large bowl.
- Blend remaining ingredients in a small bowl then combine with vegetables.
- Mix together olive oil, lemon juice, shoyu and salt and pepper.
- Lightly brush fish filets with olive oil blend just before cooking.
- Grill filets on a kiawe wood-burning grill, medium-hot, for about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Place a mound of Gingered Coleslaw in the center of each serving plate. Top with grilled fish.
- Ladle on about ¼ cup Citrus Black Bean Jus.
- Garnish with sliced green onions, pickled ginger and steamed bok choi if desired.