A nice compliment to almost any dish
|1⁄4||Cup||green onion, sliced|
|1||Cup||long grain-wild rice blend, rinsed and drained|
|2 1⁄2||Cup||chicken broth, or water|
|1||each||large carrot, julienned or shredded|
|1||each||grated zest of orange|
|1||each||juice of orange|
|1||Teaspoon||fresh thyme leaves|
|3⁄4||Cup||sliced almonds, lightly toasted|
- Melt butter and olive oil together in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the green onion and cook for 2 minutes to soften.
- Add in the rice and coat with the butter and oil.
- Cook rice until well coated and has a slightly nutty aroma.
- Stir in the broth, carrot, orange zest, juice and 1/4 cup of the cranberries.
- Bring to a low simmer and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Once the liquid is completely absorbed and the rice is tender, mix in the parsley, thyme and remaining cranberries (you may adjust seasoning with salt and pepper).
- Just before serving, fold in half the almonds and sprinkle the rest on the top for garnish.