4 poundsOxtail, cut into pieces
1 gallonchicken broth
5whole star anise
4 slicesginger, 1/8 inch thick, smashed
3dried orange peel
1 cupshelled and skinned raw peanuts
10dry shitake, rehydrated and cut in half
1 bunchChinese mustard cabbage, cut into 1" - 1 1/2" sections
- Place oxtail in a pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring water up to a boil. Keep skimming off impurities while the water comes to a boil. When the water boils, dump the water.
- Put the pot back on stove and cover with chicken broth approximately 2 inches above oxtail. If you need more liquid, add water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Add in star anise, ginger and orange peel. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add peanuts and shitake mushrooms. Simmer for another 1 - 1½ hours, or until oxtail is tender.
- Continue to skim off ’scum’ from broth.
- Add Hawaiian salt to taste.
- Add in C hinese mustard cabbage.
- Garnish with Chinese parsley.
Serve with grated ginger and shoyu as a condiment.