Portuguese Bean Soup
- Simmer ham hocks in 2 quarts of broth until tender. Reserve the broth and cool the ham hocks, removing the meat once cooled.
- Clean and reheat the pot used to make the broth. Add in the Portuguese sausage and lightly fry. Add in the garlic and onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add back the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients except the cabbage and potatoes and cook until the ingredients are tender and the flavor is developed.
- Add the cabbage and potatoes and simmer until tender.
- Adjust consistency and seasoning with additional chicken stock, salt, pepper, and Sambal.
The soup will continue to thicken over time as the pasta and potatoes absorb liquid. Keep adjusting consistency as needed. If you like more ham, you can add diced ham to the recipe. Also, this soup tastes better the next day!