Portuguese Bean Soup
2 tablespoonscanola oil
2Portuguese Sausage (sliced or cubed 1/2 inch)
2garlic cloves (minced)
1medium onion (chopped)
2large carrots (peeled and diced 1/2 inch)
2celery stalks (diced 1/2 inch)
3smoked ham hocks
2 canskidney beans (15 ounce, liquid included)
1 cancrushed tomatoes (16 ounce)
1 tablespoonChinese chili sauce (sambal olek)
1 canTomato Sauce (16 ounce)
2 quartschicken broth or water
1⁄2medium head of cabbage (core removed, cubed 1 inch)
2large potatoes (peeled, cubed 3/4 inch)
1 cupelbow macaroni (cooked al dente)
- Heat oil in the pot and add the sausage.
- Once lightly browned, add the onions, carrots, garlic, and celery to the pot.
- Add the ham hocks, kidney beans, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili sauce and chicken stock to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the ham hocks from the pot and let cool. Add the cabbage and potatoes and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the ham hocks. Dice the meat and add it back to the soup.
- Adjust consistency and seasoning with additional chicken stock, salt, pepper, and chili sauce.
- Add cooked macaroni as desired.