Portuguese Sweet Bread French Toast
1 1⁄2 cupmilk
1⁄2 teaspoonpure vanilla extract
8 slicesSweet bread loaf, 3/4" thick
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, honey, and salt. Soak 4 slices in the egg mixture for 2 minutes on each side.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the soaked bread and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until nicely browned. Place the cooked sweet bread toast on a sheet pan.
- Repeat the soaking and frying with the last 4 slices, adding butter. Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with maple syrup, lilikoi curd, powdered sugar and berries.