Roy’s Asian Style Cioppino
3 tablespoonssesame oil
2 tablespoonsgarlic, minced
3green onions, chopped
3 cupsclam juice
2 cupsstewed tomatoes
11 inch piece of ginger, crushed
2Kaffir lime leaves
1fresh chili pepper (optional)
3 tablespoonsfish sauce
1⁄4 poundfresh clams
1⁄4 poundcrab legs or whole crabs
1⁄2 poundlarge shrimp, peeled
10mussels, divided and in the shell
12whole Thai basil leaves, no stem
20cilantro leaves, no stem
- In a large sauce pot sauté the onion, green onions and garlic in sesame oil.
- Deglaze the onions with sake after translucent.
- Add clam juice, tomatoes, lemongrass, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, chili pepper and fish sauce.
- On medium heat slowly stew all of the ingredients until approximately reduced by one fourth.
- Add in the seafood before it’s ready to serve. First add the clams and crab.
- Cover and wait for 2 minutes then finish with the remaining seafood and cover for 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with fresh Thai basil leaves and fresh cilantro leaves to garnish.
- Serve family style.