Roy’s Hibachi Grilled Oysters
- Place shoyu, mirin, onion and vinegar in a blender and pureé until onion is finely chopped.
- Pour into a bowl and stir in dashi, juices and togarashi spice.
- When choosing fresh oysters, make sure the shells are tightly closed. For best results, purchase oysters that will be grilled the same day.
- Preheat grill, hibachi or broiler. If using wood or charcoal let the coals burn down to medium-low heat.
- Place oysters on grill, hibachi or under broiler.
- When oysters pop open, remove from heat and discard the top shell. Cooking time will be about 3-5 minutes, but may vary depending on heat source.
- Discard any oysters that don’t open.
- Spoon Citrus-Soy Sauce over the oysters.
- Garnish with finely chopped green onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Note: Togarashi spice, also known as shichimi, is a mixture of 7 seasonings. These may include various amounts of ground red pepper, sesame seeds, nori, dried citrus peel, poppy seeds, hemp seeds and sansho, a peppery dried berry. Both togarashi and shichimi may be found in the Asian section of select Foodland, Sack N Save and Foodland Farms stores.