Roy’s Sweet Butter Seared Sea Scallops with a Raspberry Port Wine Reduction
24Large sea scallops, mussels removed
1⁄4 cupSweet butter, softened
1 pinchsalt, to taste
1 pinchWhite pepper, to taste
headerPort Wine Reduction
4 cupsPort wine
2 tablespoonsRaspberry vinegar
For Sea Scallops
- Preheat a large sauté pan to medium high heat.
- Season scallops before placing a small amount of butter on each one.
- Turn the scallops butter side down first and sear until golden brown. (About 2 minutes per side depending on the size of the scallops or until opaque in color.) Do not over cook!
For Port Wine Reduction
- In a non-reactive saucepan reduce the port wine, raspberry vinegar and sugar until syrupy. (About 30 minutes on medium heat.) It will reduce more then 3/4th.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add in ½ cup of cold butter and stir in until incorporated. Serve around scallops.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries, fresh basil leaves and chives.