Roy's Crab and Shrimp Shu Mai
12large square won ton wrappers
1⁄2 poundraw shrimp, 51/60 ct., peeled and cleaned, no shells
4 tablespoonscilantro, finely chopped
1 tablespoonmint, finely chopped
1⁄2 teaspoonlemon zest
1 tablespoonlemongrass, finely minced
1 cupcrab meat, cleaned, no shells
1 cansmall can of water chestnuts, drained and finally chopped
2 tablespoonsfish sauce
- Using a food processor, combine shrimp with herbs, lemon zest, and lemongrass. Process for 2 minutes, scraping down bowl occasionally.
- Remove shrimp mixture from food processor and place in a chilled mixing bowl.
- Combine the shrimp mixture with crab meat and water chestnuts.
- Season the filling with the fish sauce.
- Chill filling for 15 minutes.
- Lay out won ton wrappers on a clean dry surface that has been lightly dusted with cornstarch.
- Lightly brush edges of wrappers with egg wash (1 egg yolk, 1 tsp. water).
- Scoop out 4-5 teaspoons of shu mai filling into center of wrappers. Bring edges up to center and seal.
- Chill uncovered for 15 minutes or overnight.
- Using a hot steamer, steam shu mai for 5-8 minutes until cooked. The dumpling should be springy to the touch.
- Serve hot. Garnish with cilantro leaves, green onion, soy, and sesame oil.