Salt & Pepper Shrimp
1 poundlarge shrimp, shells on
1 cuppotato starch
1 tablespoongarlic salt
2 tablespoonsBlack Pepper
1 teaspoonkosher salt
1⁄4 teaspoonChinese-five spice powder
- Slice each shrimp along the back with scissors or a sharp knife, leaving the tail segment intact.
- Devein shrimp, leaving shells on. Trim off legs. Rinse shrimp and dry.
- Preheat oil in a pan to 400°.
- Place egg whites in a bowl and beat slightly.
- In a separate bowl, combine potato starch, garlic salt, black pepper, kosher salt and Chinese-five spice powder and mix well; reserve.
- Add shrimp to the egg whites and stir to coat.
- Place shrimp in a colander and drain excess egg whites.
- Toss drained shrimp with seasonings.
- Place shrimp 3-5 pieces at a time in hot oil and fry for 30-45 seconds.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with a spicy chili oil or hoisin sauce.