Sesame King Crab Tempura
4 cupsvegetable oil
3 tablespoonssoy sauce
3 teaspoonsfresh lime juice
1 teaspoonGranulated Sugar
1 cupAll Purpose Flour
1⁄4 cupsesame seeds (you can mix black and white for visual effect)
1 cupcold beer (not dark)
3⁄4 pounds3-4" segments of Alaskan King Crab out of shell (about 6-8)
- Heat 2" of oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat until a deep fat thermometer registers 365°.
- While oil is heating, make dipping sauce by stirring together soy sauce, lime juice, and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk together flour, sesame seeds and cold beer until batter is smooth.
- Toss about 3-4 pieces of crab in batter until coated.
- Add to oil one at a time (to keep separate) and fry, turning, until golden, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Transfer with tongs to paper towels to drain and sprinkle salt to taste.
- Coat and fry remaining pieces of crab in same manner.
- Serve crab with dipping sauce.