4 poundschicken thighs, bone in, skin on
4 cupschicken broth
1 1⁄2 cupshoyu
1 cuppacked light brown sugar
1bulb garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
14-inch piece ginger, sliced 1/8 to 1/16 inch thick, long ways
4 tablespoonscornstarch dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
- Combine all ingredients except cornstarch and green onions in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to low and cook very slowly, covered, until chicken is tender, about 30 to 35 minutes more. Continue to skim the broth for fat and impurities.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter.
- Strain the sauce and bring to a boil. Thicken with the cornstarch slurry.
- Glaze over the chicken. Garnish with slices of green onion.
The dish tastes better the second day.