Singapore Style Chili Crab
2whole cooked Dungeness crabs
2 tablespoonshot chili paste (sriracha)
3 tablespoonstomato paste
3 tablespoonsrice wine vinegar
2 tablespoonsdark brown sugar
3 tablespoonspeanut oil
1ginger (approx. 1 inch), peeled and finely minced
1 cupMaui or sweet onion, finely minced
4 clovesgarlic, finely minced
1egg yolk, beaten
2 tablespoonschopped fresh green onions, plus more for garnish
- Pull the main shell off the crab and discard it.
- Remove the gray gills and the soft insides.
- Cut the body in half and then cut between each leg.
- Crack the legs and claws with the back of the knife or a hammer and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the chili paste, tomato sauce, shoyu, rice wine vinegar, and brown sugar; thin it with ¼ cup water and set aside.
- Pour the oil into a wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and onion and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the crab and stir-fry for another minute.
- Pour in the sauce and continue cooking, stirring often, until the crab has absorbed the sauce.
- Take the cornstarch and add in water to make a paste.
- Thicken the sauce with the cornstarch.
- Add in the egg yolk and continue to stir.
- Put onto a platter and garnish with green onions.