Southern Fried Chicken
1Whole Chicken Fryer
1 cupAll Purpose Flour
2 teaspoonsgarlic powder
2 teaspoonsonion powder
3 cupsvegetable oil
- Break the chicken up into 6 pieces. 2 Breasts, 2 Thighs, 2 drumsticks.
- Season with salt and pepper and marinate in the buttermilk for at least 1 hour up to 24 hours.
- Combine the flour with the spices.
- Place the oil in a heavy gauge pan so the depth of oil is 1 ½-2 inches and there is 2-3 inches from the top of the oil to the top of the pan. Place on medium high heat.
- Take the chicken and dredge in the seasoned flour once to coat, then back into the buttermilk, and once more in the seasoned flour. The chicken should be nicely coated. Do this with all pieces.
- Test the oil. Drop a few specs of flour in the pan and they should sizzle nicely.
- When the oil is ready, carefully place the chicken pieces in the oil. There should be at least ½ inch of space between pieces of chicken. Let the piece cook golden brown, approx. 6 minutes. Turn over and repeat for 6 more minutes. The chicken is cooked when the meat, pierced by a fork has juices that run clear.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.