Spiced Grilled Ahi with Local Tomato Salsa
3 clovesgarlic, unpeeled
1jalapeño chile, stemmed
2 cupsripe local tomatoes (Ho Farms or Hamakua), diced
1⁄4 cupred onion, diced
1 tablespoonfresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 tablespoonfresh mint, finely chopped
1⁄8 cupfresh lime juice plus juice of one lime
4 tablespoonsolive oil
4ahi steaks, 3/4 inch thick
1 teaspoonchili powder
1 teaspoonground cumin
- Roast garlic and jalapeño in a small, dry skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until soft (both will blacken in spots). Roast for 5 to 10 minutes for jalapeños, 15 minutes for garlic.
- Cool, then peel the garlic.
- Finely mince the garlic and jalapeño and mix in tomatoes.
- Rinse onion in a small strainer under cold water and drain.
- Stir in cilantro and mint.
- Add in lime juice and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with the teaspoon of salt.
- Place the ahi steaks on a platter and season with chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Marinate with the juice of the one lime, and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Coat grill with cooking spray and heat to high heat.
- Remove fish from marinade and place on grill.
- Cover grill and cook for 3 minutes.
- Uncover, flip fish, cover again and cook until fish is done (about 2 minutes more for medium-rare).
- Transfer fish to plates and spoon salsa on top.