Spicy Butternut Squash Chili
5tomatillos, outer husk removed
6chipotle chilies, canned
2 tablespoonsvegetable oil
3 tablespoonschili powder
1green bell pepper, medium-sized, seeded, chopped
1red bell pepper, medium-sized, seeded, chopped
1onion, medium-sized, chopped
4 cupsbutternut squash, peeled, cubed (3/4 inch cubes)
1⁄2 teaspoonOregano, dried
1⁄4 teaspoonground cayenne pepper
1 canblack beans, 15.5 oz (do not drain)
1⁄4 cupwater or vegetable stock
- Preheat a heavy skillet on high heat. Add the tomatoes, garlic and tomatillos.
- Allow them to char on one side. Turn over and allow to char on the other side.
- Remove from heat. When cool enough to handle, peel the garlic and remove the stems from the tomatoes and tomatillos.
- Combine with the chipotle chilies in a blender and pulse until smooth but still slightly chunky.
- Heat oil in 4-quart pot over medium heat.
- Add chili powder, green and red peppers, and onions; sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, oregano and cayenne pepper; sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in corn, black beans, tomato mixture, salt and water; cook for 15 minutes or until the squash is tender, but not mushy.