Spicy Pumpkin Chili
4 clovesgarlic, unpeeled
5tomatillos, outer husk removed
6chipotle chilies, canned
2 tablespoonsvegetable oil
3 tablespoonschili powder
1medium-size sweet green pepper, cored, seeded and diced 1/2 inch
1medium-size sweet red pepper, cored, seeded and diced 1/2 inch
1medium onion, finely sliced
4 cupspeeled and cubed 3/4 inch kabocha pumpkin or butternut squash
1⁄2 teaspoondried oregano
1⁄4 teaspoonground cayenne
1 can(15.5 ounces) black beans with water (do not drain)
1 cupfresh corn kernels or frozen white corn kernels
1⁄4 cupwater or vegetable stock
- Preheat a thick gauge skillet on high, lay the tomatoes, garlic, tomatillos. Allow them to char on one side. Turn over and allow to char on the other side. Cool.
- Peel the garlic and remove the stems from the tomatoes and tomatillos. Combine with the chipotle and blend until smooth but still slightly chunky.
- Heat oil in 4-quart pot over medium heat. Add chili powder, green and red peppers and onions; saute 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, oregano and ground red pepper; saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in corn, black beans, salt and water; cook for 15 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender but not mushy.