Spring Spinach Salad with Truffled Hawaiian Honey Vinaigrette
2small beets, stems trimmed to 1"
1 teaspoonolive oil
16spears of asparagus, grilled
4 ouncesarugula or endive
8 ouncesspinach, cleaned and stemmed
1⁄2purple onion, thinly sliced
2 ouncesblue cheese, crumbled
1⁄2 cupmacadamia nuts, roasted and salted
1 tablespoonwhole grain mustard
2 tablespoonsHawaiian honey
4 tablespoonschampagne vinegar
5basil (large leaves)
2 teaspoonstruffle oil
2 tablespoonsolive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Rub beets with olive oil.
- Place beets in a small roasting pan and cover with foil.
- Roast for 45-50 minutes or until tender.
- Cool, then peel and quarter.
- Sauté bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Cool and reserve bacon drippings for salad dressing.
- Peel orange, then segment, reserving juice for salad dressing.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Toss arugula (or endive) and spinach with salad dressing, bacon bits and asparagus.
- Arrange greens on plates.
- Top with asparagus, beets, orange segments and onions.
- Garnish with crumbled blue cheese and roasted macadamia nuts.