Steamed Clams with Lemongrass and Ginger
1 cupdry white wine, sauvignon blanc, chardonnay
4 poundsmanila clams, scrubbed
4 clovesgarlic cloves, sliced thin
1inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced into thin strips
4 tablespoonsthinly sliced lemongrass, tender parts
1⁄4 cupbasil leaves, thinly sliced
1 cupdiced ripe tomatoes
1⁄4 cupsliced chives or green onions
1⁄2 cupchopped fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat a large pot that will accommodate the clams.
- Add clams, wine, and garlic to pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over high heat until clams open, about 8 minutes. (Discard any clams that do not open.) Remove pot from heat. Stir in the butter.
- When butter is blended in, stir in the tomatoes. Pour the clams into a large serving dish and garnish with chives, and torn Italian parsley. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve with crusty bread and lemon wedges.