Turkey Jook with Pork Hash and Manoa Lettuce
- Combine turkey carcass, broth, ginger and salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours.
- While the broth is simmering, combine the ingredients for the pork hash in a bowl. Mix well and refrigerate.
- Remove the carcass and any small pieces of bone and let them cool.
- Add the rice to the broth and bring to a simmer. Allow the rice to cook completely and thicken the soup.
- Pick the turkey meat from the cooled carcass and add back to the broth. Add water to broth or canned broth to adjust the consistency.
- Bring back to a lazy simmer and drop in ping ball sized dallops of the ground pork mixture. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring very gently making sure not to break up the pork balls.
- Taste and adjust for salt.
- When serving, garnish with shredded Manoa lettuce, green onion and cilantro just before serving. If you like ginger, you may also add in some fresh grated.
If the broth is too thick, you may thin it with broth or water. If it is too thin, you may add some cooked rice and allow it to thicken the broth.