Watercress Salad with Grilled Steak and Gingered Tomatoes
4 tablespoonsextra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoonfresh lemon juice
1⁄2 teaspoonworchestershire sauce
1⁄2 teaspoondijon mustard
2 ouncesgrape tomatoes, halved (about 1/2 cup)
1 tablespoonginger, finely minced
1 pinchfreshly ground black pepper
14 ouncesNew York Strip or Rib Eye Steak (1" thick)
6 cupssmall watercress sprigs (about 2 bunches trimmed of lower stems) save the stems for stir fry or soup
1fresh sprigs of dill or torn basil leaves
2 ounceslog of goat cheese, thinly sliced or crumbled
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 Tbsp. of the olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard and a generous pinch of kosher salt to make dressing; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine tomatoes, ginger, 1 Tbsp. olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Season both sides of the steak with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
- Coat with 1 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Grill the steak, 5 minutes on one side.
- Flip and cook until the other side is nicely browned, about 3 minutes more.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest 5-7 minutes.
- Slice the beef thinly.
- Re-whisk the dressing if necessary.
- In a large bowl, toss the watercress, tomato mixture and sliced steak together with just enough of the dressing to coat.
- Season with more salt and pepper and arrange the salad in chilled bowls or plates.
- Garnish with goat cheese and sprigs of dill or basil, or both.